Thursday, January 16, 2014

And While In Bangkok....

I've seen crazy riders before, we all have, right?

Well, I've never seen anything as crazy stupid as some of the riders in Bangkok!

When I first arrived it was surreal in a way, EVERYONE it seems rides these souped up scooters, everyone.

While I was in the secluded area I was staying in, people were cool most of the time, although no one wears helmets, but in Bangkok, OH. MY. GOSH!

It was when I was on the way to the airport in Bangkok that I noticed how unsafe they were.

They were unreal! Cars are just inches apart and scooters, sport bikes, and larger bikes were flying at lightening speed, weaving in and out between cars like mad. I'd never seen anything like it.

I don't mean, not turning to see what was behind them, or to their side, not using turn signals, or even mirrors, I mean ZIPPING wildly through traffic at the speed of sound. They were like cockroaches scattering when the lights are turned on, and NO helmets!

I know people have differing views on helmets, and I'm of the opinion that a helmet is a MUST. I was watching these people, old and young, not just making their way through traffic, but endangering everyone around them, including themselves, and everyone wore shorts and sandals. Have you seen a foot of someone that's been injured while wearing sandals? Not a pretty sight.

The people I was riding with were telling me to watch for the white chalk lines, which more than likely were signs of a scooter/bike related deaths. They were everywhere.

Guys, safety has to come first. Helmets, DOT approved, the correct protective gear like proper boots, leathers, and glasses. Be aware of your surroundings and protect your space. Maybe in Bangkok cars are used to bikers of all types riding unsafely, but we really need to be watchful.

Life is too valuable not to be. Respect the the lives of everyone around you, including your own.

Be safe and peace out,
post signature

1 comment: