Monday, October 7, 2013

To A Rider, It's Natural

Today I was on the highway, in my car, on the way to meet up with a friend. 

A guy in the lane over was on a bike, he looked over his left shoulder, turned on his signal, signaled with his arm, and moved in front of me.

Being a rider I backed off, until I noticed there were cars all around him not paying an ounce of attention. So, as bikers do, I moved up a bit to "protect" his space.

On a bike, riders know to protect the space between them and other bikes, so careless drivers don't  move over into the middle of us, plus, the more bikes, the easier it is to be seen.

Cars were attempting to get between his bike and my car, and I guess I went into rider mode and moved up so they wouldn't zoom through without a notion as to what the danger would be to either of them.

I could have backed off and let them through, but, there was no place for them to go. They would have been inches from the rear of his bike, not so good. Should he have had to make a sudden stop for debris, or whatever, those cars would have been literally on top of him. 

I just thought it was strange that, being a rider, you notice things like that. No one else would even give it a thought, they certainly didn't today.

Be aware of your surroundings. Watch out for everyone. Before you attempt to squeeze in between a bike and a car, look, see if there's room, or if there's a place for you to go, or if you're only going be the one that kills a rider or yourself because of some unforeseen event.


post signature

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant advice Biker Babe, most important is that you're always aware of what's around you and the dangers, and that drivers are as well.

    ReplyDelete